Friday, March 11, 2011

Chicken Fried Fish with White Wine Gravy and Parmesan Steak Fries


One of my favorite times of the year, being Catholic, is the season of Lent. For me, it is a time to for go many of the common luxuries that I may take for granted. It is when I try to analyze my self and what I should improve on in my life be it spiritually, socially, even economically. I try to take the time to recognize what has been sacrificed for me and what I should be sacrificing. Fridays are considered penitential days through out the year but especially during lent. So it is encouraged to fast or abstain from eating meat on these days. Since today is the first Friday of Lent it is an opportune time to try out a tasty fish recipes (fish is not considered meat).

To keep with the idea of sacrifice I decided to try a recipe today only using what I already had in the pantry. This particular idea just came from simply looking at what I had and how I like to eat it. So when I saw mushrooms and onions I immediately thought gravy. And although I like fish cooked all different ways nothing goes with gravy like something fried. The wine was a last minute thought to boost the flavor slightly. If you are not a wine fan you can easily substitute chicken stock or fish stock.

For the fish you will need

4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4 8-10 ounce Cod Fillets
2 Cups Flour
2 Tablespoon Basil
Salt and Pepper

Start by placing butter in a medium sauce pan with medium-high heat. While the butter melts mix the flour, basil, and a dash of salt and pepper on a plate. Coat the fillets with the flour and shake excess flour off. When the butter is melted add the olive oil and give a moment to heat. Place the fish and let cook 5 min per side roughly or until the fish is opaque. Remove the fillets from the pan and place in a oven safe covered dish. Preheat the oven to 150 and place the dish inside to keep the fish warm. Reserve the pan filled with the oil and grease for making the gravy.

For the White Wine Gravy you will need

1 medium sweet onion sliced
8 ounces small mushrooms sliced
1 cup Chardonnay
1 cup Chicken or Fish Stock
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1 cup Milk
Parsley
Salt and pepper

Once your fish fillets are removed and stored in the oven place the onions in the pan over medium-high heat and stir to coat the onions in the grease and oil. Cook for 5 min or until soft and add mushrooms also coating. Once mushrooms are browned or slightly softened about 5 min of cooking add in chardonnay and raise heat to high. Allow the alcohol to cook off and the wine to reduce. In the meantime mix together the cornstarch milk and chicken stock. Mixing the cornstarch with liquid before adding it keeps from having clumps in your gravy. Add to your pan raise heat to high and mix till simmering. Set heat to low and simmer to reduce to desired thickness. While the gravy reduces start frying your steak fries.

For the fries you will need

4 medium Idaho Potatoes cut into thick fries (skin on if preferred)
4 cups Canola Oil
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan Cheese
1 Table spoon Parsley
Salt

When you start cooking the onions for the gravy heat in a large pan or wok the canola oil to about 160 degrees or until it first starts smoking. Place in fries a quarter at time and cook until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and place over a paper towel. Sprinkle each batch with a bit of salt, cheese and parsley. Repeat until all the fries are done.

If you cook with chardonnay, have glass with your meal and it will really accentuate the flavor of the gravy and fish.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I think I might try this recipe on Friday in observance of lent. The wine appears to have given the entire meal a great boost. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I've tried cod! You inspired me, and my family enjoyed it. The french fries were (of course) a hit with the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mathew,
    I made your chicken fried fish with white wine gravy for dinner tonight and it was delicious. That gravy is wonderful and will pair up nicely with other types of meats. I made some risotto with the cod fish and it was perfect.

    Thanks for the help in the kitchen.

    Magie

    ReplyDelete