Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tortilla de Patatas (Spanish Omelet)


People generally get the most joy out of the simplest of things.

Sitting in my uncles kitchen recently, he gushed how happy he gets hearing his wife and daughters chuckle and laugh during movies. After hearing him say this I thought about how easily simple moments like that can be missed. I later took a mental inventory of the simple things in my life that bring me joy. This was more difficult than I thought it would be and sadly had a hard time coming up with too many. The next morning I woke up eager to make something savory for breakfast. While making this dish and feeling good doing so I slowly realized why I loved this omelet so much.

When I was younger my grandfather lived with us and he was an aspiring cook himself. This particular recipe was something that he made often. Of course I was a typical child, unwilling to try anything outside of the realm of nuggets and dogs. I can remember many occasions staring at a plate of it for hours refusing to take a bite. I know what a brat, but I turned out okay.

Now that I am older and more mature (for the most part), I can see that my grandfather was trying to make me a broader and better person. Something I take to heart, constantly trying to expand my horizons. When cooking this dish I can appreciate all the work he put in to providing all those wonderful meals for us. I can remember his attention to detail and his refusal to cook with sub par ingredients. To the point of driving through a blizzard to acquire a specific spice. I try to emulate these qualities while I cook, and with other endeavors I take on in my life.

A simple recipe, but from the first cracked egg to the last bite I am smiling and being reminded of someone I respect and love.

Heres what you will need:

Olive Oil
Canola Oil
1 Medium Onion cut into thin slices
1 Pound White or Red potatoes cut into thin slices (they should be flimsy, not sturdy)
6 Large Eggs
Salt and Pepper

Start by heating two table spoons of olive oil in a 10 or 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Remove and place in medium mixing bowl to the side.

Add 1 cup canola oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Place the slices in the pan.


Cook until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel to drain. Add to the mixing bowl with onions 6 large eggs and a dash of salt and mix well. Incorporate the potatoes with the egg and onion mixture. Place your pan back over high heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. When hot pour the egg mixture into the pan and reduce the heat to low immediately. Let the eggs cook and settle for about 3-4 minutes.


Once the eggs are settled use a spatula to pry the egg loose from the pan. Using a large plate cover the pan and flip the omelet onto the plate. Then slide the omelet back into the pan with the uncooked side should be against the pan. Cook for a few more minutes or until full cooked. Loosen the omelet and slide onto a place. Slice into wedges and serve at warm or at room temperature. You can eat this with ketchup or salsa or whatever you like.

2 comments:

  1. Love the story about your grandfather - and your reflections on what he was trying to teach you.

    I've never done potatoes with eggs before - definitely looks like something my family would go for. This is going on 'the list'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mathew I love this!! What a great start to your blog. Papa will love hearing your story and I am sure it will put a smile on his face. I look forward to reading more, so keep them coming. Love you- Aunt Magie

    ReplyDelete